What this outcome means for you
The Consumer Support outcome expects that our customers and your clients get the right level of support with products, services and their finances when and where they need it most – including vulnerable customers.
To meet the outcome, advisers and providers must be able to evidence that they're giving customers a consistent and high level of support, that’s easy to find and simple to access. Providers must help customers understand and have clear access to all the benefits and features that a product offers.
You should consider the type of support and customer service providers offer when making product recommendations to clients. Good, consistent customer support not only assists with client understanding – it can also represent added value.
What you need to do
- Review the support your firm offers: think about the stages of your client’s journey, how they choose to interact with you and the ways your firm communicates with them. The support your clients receive after buying a product should be as good as the pre-sale support
- Review the support providers offer: consider their customer support, their guidance, how helpful their tools are, the clarity of their communications, and additional support they offer. These factors can help you show the value of your advice and provide confidence in your product recommendation
- Explain the support that providers offer: help your clients understand the level of support they can access with their chosen provider, so they know what is available to them and what the benefits are
- Issue proactive, timely communications: customer support extends to proactively contacting clients when it’s time for a review or if there are changes to a product – this can help your clients avoid foreseeable harm
- Understand how clients feel about your support: through activities such as client feedback surveys, you must monitor if your clients feel they’re getting the support they need and make recommendations or changes where necessary.
Pensions: How we support your pension clients
In addition to our award winning service, we offer pension customers access to resources and services that help them understand their plan. This includes managing their pension with our mobile app and online service, and updating them with newsletters, webinars and in-app alerts.
Non-advised workplace scheme members can also access support from our at retirement team, which helps employees understand their retirement options.
Financial wellbeing service
Available to workplace pension scheme members, our financial wellbeing service offers free education and guidance to help improve financial knowledge and confidence.
Customer online service
Clients can view the value of their pension plan and manage aspects of it. They can login here.
Our mobile app
Customers can see their plan value, make contributions, nominate beneficiaries, access guides, and understand their future outlook.
Useful information to help workplace scheme members understand how their pension works, how it's invested and what their retirement options are.
Employer online service
Helps employers reduce time spent administering their scheme and keep on top of duties with task notifications.
In our range of pension webinars, our technical experts aim to help customers understand their pension and how to make the most of it.
Protection: How we support your protection clients
Our services and resources support our protection clients throughout the lifetime of their policy, including self-serve health and wellbeing support options they can use when they like.
This wellbeing support service helps clients maintain a healthy lifestyle, by giving them access to advice about staying fit, and early care medical services to support with physical or mental illness.
Our protection claims record shows how many claims we paid last year, how much was paid and can be used to support your protection recommendations.
Customer online service
Existing customers can log in to our online service to view their protection policies and more.
Helping you improve your client support
We can help you offer the best support to your clients, thanks to our range of tools, webinars, customised marketing literature, and additional business support.
Our technical support articles and case studies explain complex legislation and technical developments in an easy to understand way.
Business Support Unit
You'll get a dedicated contact who will help you get to grips with third-party tools and systems, so you can use them to support your business.
Adviser online service
Start new business, manage applications, create pension valuations, get indicative protection underwriting decisions and more.
Our interactive trust picker can help you find the right trust form for your protection clients.
Create branded product literature and use pre-prepared marketing materials to help you explain our protection products, develop your client base and more.
Our webinars and CPD modules include expert insights and practical examples to help you stay on top of the latest pension and protection developments, including the impact of Consumer Duty.
More Consumer Duty guidance and support
Products and Services outcome
Our resources can help you meet the requirements of the first Consumer Duty outcome, and help you understand what you need to do.
Price and Value outcome
Learn more about the second Consumer Duty outcome, what you need to do and how our resources can help you to meet the requirements.
Consumer Understanding outcome
Find out how our resources and support can help you meet the requirements of the third Consumer Duty outcome, and what you need to do.