Eligibility - frequently asked questions

A: Any individual may contribute to a registered pension scheme. The contributions will receive tax relief if they are under age 75 and:

  • they are resident in the UK at some time during the year, or
  • they have relevant UK earnings chargeable to UK income tax, or
  • they are tax resident in the UK both at some time in the previous 5 tax years and when they became a member of the pension scheme, or
  • they (or their spouse or civil partner) have general earnings from overseas crown employment subject to UK tax.

The tax relief will be limited to the greater of £3,600 p.a. and 100% of UK relevant earnings.

HMRC - Pensions Tax Manual - PTM044100: Contributions: tax relief for members: conditions

A: So long as they are eligible to contribute to a registered pension scheme (see above) a payment of any amount can be made, regardless of a member's level of earnings. The maximum payment which will receive tax relief is a total gross payment (that is member contributions and basic rate tax relief) of up to £3,600 per annum gross in any tax year.

HMRC - Pensions tax manual - PTM044100: Contributions: tax relief for members: conditions


The information provided is based on our current understanding of the relevant legislation and regulations and may be subject to alteration as a result of changes in legislation or practice. Also it may not reflect the options available under a specific product which may not be as wide as legislations and regulations allow.

All references to taxation are based on our understanding of current taxation law and practice and may be affected by future changes in legislation and the individual circumstances of the investor.

Share by email:

Share by email:

This website is intended for financial advisers only and shouldn't be relied upon by any other person. If you are not an adviser please visit royallondon.com.

The Royal London Mutual Insurance Society Limited is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority. The firm is on the Financial Services Register, registration number 117672. It provides life assurance and pensions. Registered in England and Wales number 99064. Registered office: 55 Gracechurch Street, London, EC3V 0RL.