We've added two new full definitions
- Crohn's disease
A long term condition where parts of the digestive tract can become inflamed.
- Syringomelia or Syringobulbia
- Syringomyelia is the formation of fluid-filled cysts in the spinal cord. It can cause pain, weakness and stiffness in the body.
- Syringobulbia is the formation of fluid-filled cysts which affect the brainstem. Symptoms can include dizziness, involuntary rapid eye movement, impaired vision and numbness.
We've added three new additional cover conditions
Heart attack was our second biggest reason for Critical Illness claim in 2020*.
That’s why we’ve added two new heart-related conditions:
- Less severe cardiomyopathy - a disease of the heart muscle that leads to the heart becoming enlarged and functioning poorly.
- Less severe heart failure - means the heart is unable to pump blood around the body in the way it should.
In the UK alone, 245,000 people are affected by sepsis every year**, which is why we've added a sepsis definition to our definitions.
- Severe sepsis - a life-threatening medical condition. It happens when the immune system over-reacts to an infection and starts to damage the body's own tissues and organs.
We've updated eight existing definitions
- Spina bifida
We now include meningocele in our Children's Critical Illness definition for spina bifida.
- Bacterial meningitis was one of the most common reason for claim for Children’s Critical Illness Cover in 2020*.
That's why we've updated the definition so that permanent symptoms after infection are no longer needed.
- Third degree burns
For our full definition as well as our additional cover condition, we've reduced the percentage surface area of the body/face that needs to be affected before we'll pay a claim.
We've removed the requirement for permanent associated symptoms and instead have added the use of a life support system for 96 hours.
We've reduced the need for a loss of hearing from greater than 95 to 70 decibels.
- Chronic lung disease
We've increased the FEV1 limit to less than 50% of normal.
- Partial loss of sight
We've increased the visual field in the better eye to 45 degrees or less of an arc.
* Royal London UK intermediary protection business claims paid (1 January to 31 December 2020).
** The UK Sepsis Trust (accessed 9 March 2022).
Get a quote for Critical Illness Cover
Not registered? Sign up here.
Find out more about Critical Illness Cover